Use this holiday prep list to host the best gathering this season
Writer / Claire-Anne Aikman
There are many things to love about winter. There are its snowfalls (not driving in snow, just watching the snowfall) and its crisp, biting air that calls for hot chocolate and cookies. Then there are its holiday lights. However, one of the best parts is the overall cheery mood that most people have this time of the year.
Somehow, in the cold, busy, bundled up day-to-day, people make time to gather with family and friends in their homes. That gathering space is a huge driver in why many people purchase the home they are in. If they are the ones always traveling to gather, space needs are small. If they are hosting, wide-open spaces are desired.
To maximize holiday gathering enjoyment for all, see the list holiday prep list below to learn how to host a gathering of your own this season.
Operation Holiday Prep
- Clean. No need to list every item that needs to be cleaned, and no need to make your home spotless, but cleaning is good, hop to it.
- Clear the major spaces. Major spaces include the dining room and living room. Suggest to guests that they avoid the bedrooms and smaller spaces.
- Clear the entryway. This includes those summer shoes that might still be out!
- Clean out the fridge. This might not seem too holiday prep worth, but the logic is that this space will be in high demand. So, take out the old containers that are taking up space.
- Decorate accordingly. This is tricky for people that have a dog that likes to chew things. Implement strategic decorating methods — especially around the Christmas tree.
- Determine how much seating will be needed. Get a headcount and plan out how you’ll best utilize your space.
- Have holiday scented smelly things strewn about (candles and oils). The smell of gingerbread cookies baking can accomplish that stated “need.”
Entertaining doesn’t have to be elaborate or frenzied. It’s a great way to bring family and friends together to create memories that last a lifetime. Plan a little, reduce your stress a lot, and enjoy your guests!