Trendy in Indy
7 Best Ice Cream Shops in Indy
Writer / Stephanie Weber
Photographer / Collin Weber
The heat in July is sweltering in Indy. We are all looking for the quickest way to cool off so days spent in the pool or in the air conditioning have become a necessity.
One of my favorite ways to beat the heat is to enjoy something deliciously chilled. Our city has some of the best ice cream shops that are ready to cool you off. Read on for my seven favorites in Indy.
- BRICS in Broad Ripple – If you’re headed to Broad Ripple and want to walk the Monon Trail, you can stop at BRICS along the way. I personally enjoy the Carmel x3, but you also can’t go wrong with Butler Pecan.
- Graeter’s – This ice cream shop has three locations in and around Indianapolis. The one I frequent is located in Carmel near the City Center. I love their Dutch Milk Chocolate, but all of the flavors here are deliciously rich and creamy.
- Mrs Curl – This one is hands down the best soft serve on the southside of Indianapolis. They place a teddy graham in your selection and you can order my favorite, a swirl cone. They also have hot dogs and other food options so you can make a whole meal out of it. With affordable prices, you can gather the whole family and all your friends for a picnic. You might also see their truck at a few summer events around the city.
- Ritter’s– When I was little, Ritter’s was a common stop for our family. They have different flavors of the day including my favorite, Chocolate Covered Banana. They are also known for their glaciers, served upside- down to prove their thickness. The Cookie Dough Glacier is always a solid option.
- Nicey – For the lactose-free, this one should be on your list. It’s located in Broad Ripple and Fountain Square. They handmake all their popsicles with natural ingredients to create a variety of flavors. Personally, I prefer Strawberry Mint and Pineapple Basil. Although these are technically popsicles, Nicey offers a cool treat on a stick with the creamy factor of regular ice cream.
- Handel’s – With a line that’s always long on summer nights, this is a local favorite in Fishers and Carmel. My first trip to the location on 116th street was actually in May. I was pleasantly surprised to discover a couple of dairy-free options. I enjoyed a cup of the Chocolate Almond Milk with bananas on top while my husband devoured a sugar cone full of the Chocoholic Chunk.
- Sub Zero Nitrogen Ice Cream – Yes, the name was also intriguing to me too which is why I walked in with a few friends to the Mass Ave location a few months ago. Essentially liquid nitrogen is used to freeze the ice cream and it’s pretty entertaining to watch. You pick your flavor and any toppings and then watch it freeze in front of your eyes. Because the portions are large and we had just come from lunch, we shared a cup of the Cake Batter with sprinkles. There are also locations at Castleton Mall and in Carmel.
These seven cold treat stops are just a handful of what’s available here in Indy. I’ve been to each of these and enjoy the atmosphere combined with the menu.
Grab the kids, call your friends and embrace the heat with a trip to one of these ice cream shops. Aside from going to a waterpark or running through sprinklers, cold treats are the perfect way to enjoy a summer evening in Indy. Which one will you visit next?