Geist Summer Camp Preview
Looking for some great summer camp and enrichment opportunities for your children this summer? Geist residents have numerous options that are sure to engage kids of all ages.
- Camp Indy at Horizon Christian Fellowship (7702 Indian Lake Rd.): An outdoor adventure camp in a Christian setting for ages 4-13. Over 20 different camps. Climbing wall, swimming pool, sports, fishing, music, and more. Multiple sessions from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. daily, with before and after care available. Cost: $150. (317) 823-9038 or www.campindy.org.
- Sailing Camp: Indianapolis Sailing Club Junior Training Program for kids ages 8-14, novices to advanced sailors. Several one-week sessions offered between June 14 and Aug. 6. Cost: $295 (discounts available to club members or siblings). Last session, Aug. 2–6 is for ages 10-16. ISC, 11325 Fall Creek Road, (317) 335-7385 or www.Indianapolissailing.org.
- Adventure Camp at Conner Prairie (Ages 5-14): At Adventure Camp, children ages 8-14 will take on the White River with canoe trips and tubing excursions, while 5-7 year-olds will explore Conner Prairie’s pond in pedal boats. Children will also hike through the backwoods of Conner Prairie, take on a challenge course, fish, swim, cook over a fire and explore the wild outdoors. New this year, adventure campers will slide into even more fun with Conner Prairie’s new Water Whoosh slide and Slip & Sled activity. With age-specific activity groups for all children, Adventure Camp has outdoor fun for every child. Campers will also have opportunities to explore Conner Prairie’s historic areas. Weekly sessions are offered June 7 – July 30 from 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m. daily (8:00 drop-off and 5:30 pick-up also available). Cost is $185/week ($170/week for members), with a $5 discount for additional children from the same family. For more information or to register, please call Guest Services at (317) 776-6006, email email@example.com, or register online at www.ConnerPrairie.org.
- Spring Hill Day Camp at Heritage Christian School: Climbing wall, crafts, low ropes, sling shot, water activities, euro-bungee, flying squirrel, silly games, and much more. Have a blast while learning about God and yourself. For kids who have completed kindergarten through 4th grades; July 19-23; $129 (price is greatly reduced from last year). Register at www.SpringHillCamps.com (click on the “Day Camp” tab).
- Art Camp at Conner Prairie (ages 8-14): At Conner Prairie’s Art Camp, children will have the chance to explore painting, acting, pottery and weaving. From historical to modern crafts, campers will use the outdoors as inspiration for their work. Nature hikes and creative mediums will keep kids active while their inner artists take flight. Campers will also have opportunities to explore Conner Prairie’s historic areas and discover what it was like to live and play in 19th century Indiana. Weekly sessions offered June 7 – July 30 from 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m. daily (8:00 drop-off and 5:30 pick-up also available). Cost is $185/week ($170/week for members), with a $5 discount for additional children from the same family. For more information or to register, please call Guest Services at (317) 776-6006, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or register online at www.ConnerPrairie.org.
- Indianapolis Museum of Art: Variety of classes from clay to painting and photography, for ages 4 to adult. Call (317) 923-1331 or visit www.imamuseum.org.
- Young Rembrandts Themed Drawing Camps:
- Junior Transportation Camp. Children ages 5-7 will learn to draw all different modes of transportation including cars, trucks, airplanes, helicopters and more! Last day to include a large scene with roads, bridges and vehicles. All materials included. Min. 4/Max. 18 with sessions Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, June 14-16 from 10:00–11:30 a.m. Cost: $36.
- Shopping Mall Camp. Participants will draw shoes, boots, fashion accessories, and zebra and leopard print fabrics, along with an illustration of a bath and candle shop. Create a store scene with clothing cleverly displayed. All materials included. For grades K-6. Min. 4/Max. 18 with sessions Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, July 12-14 from 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. Cost: $40. 3.
- Cartoon Zoo Camp. Artists will learn to cartoon a variety of zoo animals using expressions, movement, exaggeration and sequencing to tell a joke. Draw giraffes, elephants, bears, monkeys and more! All materials included. For grades K – 6. Min. 4/Max. 18 with sessions Monday-Thursday, July 26-29 from 10:00 a.m.–12:00 p.m. Cost: $52.Visit www.youngrembrandts.com to locate a class near you.
- BARN R.A.T.S. (Really Awesome Theatre School): Explore all aspects of theatre with the Mud Creek Players. Performance at the end of each week. Multiple sessions, ages 7-11, $195. Special camps for grades 6-8 during weeks of June 14 and July 5. Call (317) 290-5343 or visit www.mudcreekplayers.org.
- The Artists Studio (12810 Ford Drive, Fishers): Age 3 – 8th grade. Music and theatre camps for all ages in morning, afternoon, and all-day sessions. Productions include popular children’s books and stories, including If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, Junie B. Jones, Shrek, The Wizard of Oz, Cinderella, Harry Potter, High School Musical, and more. Cost: $175-$300. Call (317) 594-5070 or go to www.artists-studio.com to register online.
- Camp Invention (for children entering grades 1-6). Create and experiment with physics, engineering and creative problem-solving while practicing critical thinking skills in an environment of fun. The “Innovate Program” is being offered this year from June 14-18 at Winding Ridge Elementary School (Lawrence). Cost is $210. For more information, visit www.campinvention.org or contact Regina Young at (317) 882-1805. Before and after care available.
- Mad Science (ages 5-11): Choose Spy Academy or Robots 2010 for ages 7-11. Choose Kid’s Lab for ages 5-7. Spy Academy campers will learn intelligence gathering, tracking, the science of security, codes, metal detectors, night vision and more. Robot campers will each build the Robot Arm Edge and will learn the basics of gears, motors, electricity, and robotics. Kids Lab campers will have a different topic each day: Toy Science, Eco Explorers, Crazy Chemistry, Science of Sport, and Space. Multiple dates and locations in Fishers, Carmel/Zionsville, and Indianapolis. Get the kids excited about science. For more information, call the fun phone at (317) 388-0988 or visit www.sciencecampfun.com.
- Nature Day Camps at Ritchey Woods Nature Preserve (Fishers, ages 3-11): Focus is on a variety of nature-related themes. All camps are held at Ritchey Woods. With new age groupings, Ritchey Woods now allows your child to attend camp more than one week. Cost: $28-$92 for residents (prices vary based on camp selected). Call Fishers Parks & Recreation at (317) 595-3155 or visit www.fishers.in.us/parks.
- Indy Ski School at Geist: Four-day camps for beginners or intermediate level in water skiing, wakeboarding and/or kneeboarding. Cost is $250. Call (317) 457-1573 or go to www.indyskischool.com.
- Jack Keefer’s LN Wildcat Boys Basketball Camp: Basketball camp for grades K-9 is one of the most respected basketball camps in Indiana and is taught by 2006 USA Today National Coach of the Year Jack Keefer. Three camp options at Lawrence North beginning June 4. For more information, visit www.ltschools.org and click on the “LT Schools Community Service Page,” download the application online, or email email@example.com.
- No-Bummer Summer at Geist Sports Academy (11960 E. 62nd): Cheer, gymnastics, sports camps, and more for ages 3-11. Themed preschool camps also offered, including Princess Camp and Super Hero Camp. Cost: $155 (ask about multiple camp discount). Also check out 4-hour daytime Gym Jams, Parent’s Night Out Gym Jams, and 3-hour Wet ‘N Wild Wednesdays (cost: $20/$15 siblings). Call (317)823-7734 or visit www.geistsportsacademy.com.
- Sports of All Sorts (6002 Sunnyside Road, ages 6-14): Weekly adventure camp at the largest indoor playground in Indianapolis. The camp is offered every week of the summer from 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. daily, beginning June 1. Camp participants will engage in a variety of activities, including kickball, dodge ball, pillo hockey, soccer, basketball, volleyball, and more. Cost: $149. Early care from 7:00-8:00 a.m. for $10 per week, and after care from 5:00–6:00 p.m. for $10 per week. Call (317) 823-9555 or go to www.soasindy.net.
- Lifetime Fitness (8705 Castle Creek Parkway): Sport-specific camps or themed adventure day camps for ages 4-14 for members only. For more information, call (317) 595-9700 or www.lifetimefitness.com.
Traditional Day Camps/Themes
- Camp Funshine (Fishers Parks & Recreation, ages 3-10): A different theme each week from June 7 – Aug. 6. Crafts, games, stories and playground time for three age groups. Little Tykes, ages 3-4, $66 residents/$99 non-residents; Kids Zone, ages 5-6, $66 residents/$99 non-residents; Adventure Club, ages 7-10, $70 residents/$105 non-residents. Campers receive a free T-shirt for each week of camp. Call (317)595-3155 or visit www.fishers.in.us/parks.
- Indy Parks & Recreation: The 2010 Indy Parks and Recreation summer day camp program offers a wide variety of opportunities including swimming, arts, nature, science, and sports and recreation. All camps follow a set of high program standards and are accredited by the American Camp Association (ACA). Limited scholarships are offered based on financial need, and free summer lunch programs are available at selected sites for qualified applicants. Choose from traditional day camps, Environmental Education camps, Specialty Arts camps, or Therapeutic Recreation (for campers with physical and/or intellectual disabilities); dates and prices vary. Call (317) 327-PARK or visit www.indyparks.org and click on “Summer Day Camp Guides.”
- KinderCare Global Summer Adventures: Traditional day camp with flexible scheduling, field trips and more. Visit www.mysummeradventures.com and type in your zip code to find a location near you, or call a local KinderCare facility: Geist, (317) 823-0755 or Fishers, (317) 576-9344.
- MSD of Lawrence Township Summer Enrichment: For a list of summer camp and enrichment opportunities through the Lawrence Township Schools, check out www.ltschools.org and click on “LT Schools Community Service Page.”
- YMCA: Traditional day camps and specialty arts and sports camps for ages 3-15. Fishers YMCA (9012 E. 126th St.): (317) 595-9622; Benjamin Harrison YMCA (5736 Lee Road): (317) 547-9622. To check out all the great summer day camp offerings, visit www.indymca.org and click on “Day Camp Forms.”
- Mathias Counseling and Consulting (11650 Lantern Road, Suite 136, Fishers): Classes and camps on friendship, social skills, handling anxiety and worries, assertiveness skills, girls’ issues, and anger management for children in grades 1-7. For specifics, contact Carlabeth Mathias, LSCW, LMHC, at (317) 578-2141, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.mathiascounseling.com.
- Holy Cross Summer Camp: A five-week science program for kids ages 3 – 4th grade; three days a week, $16/day. Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 8115 Oaklandon Road, (317) 826-1234. Also check out VBS June 14-18 for all kids up to fourth grade. FREE — Call Holy Cross to register.
- Abundant Life School (toddlers – grade 5): During the summer months, Abundant Life School extends their toddler – kindergarten program out through 5th grade. Field trips weekly, in-house events twice a month, and weekly themes with lots of fun and activities. The school provides a safe, loving Christian environment. The school is open 6:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. Monday – Friday. Cost: $147 weekly (with 3 or 4-day options also available). Abundant Life Church, 7606 E. 82nd St. For more information, contact the school office at (317) 845-4914.