Humane Society for Boone County’s Second Annual “Fur Ball” Mardi Gras Celebration
Writers / Georgia and her friends who are looking for homes
Photographer / JJ Kaplan
Wow, we can’t believe it has been a whole year since our Inaugural Fur Ball! It was so incredibly successful in getting us to our goal of the Humane Society of Boone County having its own animal shelter to protect animals like us that are a bit down on our luck and could use a helping hand. We still have our beads and got some new flea collars and are so ready to get the party going again.
You may remember – at last year’s event – we took a giant step when we announced that Allen Valenti and Valenti-Held Group had graciously donated 6.2 acres as a site upon which to build the shelter. Since that time, we have been busy garnering financial support and continuing to make plans to complete the goal.
Some of the accomplishments made this year with the generous support of our community were:
• Continue to rescue abandoned dogs and cats, puppies and kittens across the county needing permanent homes
• Closed on the land donation, received a pledge for a roof for the shelter from Bone Dry Roofing and its owner Gene Judd.
• A a $10,000 pledge for HVAC from True Temp Heating and Air Conditioning and its owner Angel Badillo
• Received civil engineering assistance from GRW Engineers, construction assistance and guidance from Fred Jones at CF Jones and architecture guidance from Peterson Architects, Darren L Peterson
• Raised $42,000 in big fundraising events for the building fund (Fur Ball 2014 and Paws and Claws Ride for Rescues 2014)
• Established an endowment at the Community Foundation of Boone County to assist and supplement future operational expenses for the organization, as well as obtain advice and guidance from the staff at CFBC
• Purchased a bus for animal rescue for which Indy’s Pro Graphix, Mark Robinson, donated the cool wrap of the bus
• Continued to receive much needed support and guidance from the Boone County Veterinary Community
• Fantastic food/litter drives from Boone County Arc and many others.
We want to thank the community for its support throughout the year. Also a special ongoing thank you to Duke Realty – ANSON, Vice President Craig Anderson for generously providing sponsorships and a building over the course of the last three years to help us collect and store things while we await construction.
In addition to selling the six remaining tables, we would really appreciate any items that could be contributed for the silent auction, which as you may remember last year got pretty loud! If you want to purchase a table or make a contribution for the auction please email: email@example.com or call 765-485-8888.
As always, a huge thank you to our volunteers and the many pet foster families who support the Human Society of Boone County. See you with your beads on and ready to raise the roof again!